Universal Credit 20-21

Change in Universal Credit Rates 2020/21

Here are some changes for Universal Credit that may effect you or would like to know about.

published by DWP on 6 April 20

Standard allowance

Your circumstances

Monthly standard allowance

Single and under 25

Single and 25 or over

In a couple and you’re both under 25
£488.59 (for you both)

In a couple and either of you are 25 or over
£594.04 (for you both)

Extra amounts

You may get more money on top of your standard allowance if you’re eligible.

  • If you have children.
  • If you have 1 or 2 children, you’ll get an extra amount for each child.
  • If you have 3 or more children, you’ll get an extra amount for at least 2 children.
  • You can only get an extra amount for more children if any of the following are true:Your children were born before 6 April 2017.
  • You were already claiming for 3 or more children before 6 April 2017.
  • Other exceptions apply.

You’ll get an extra amount for any disabled or severely disabled child - no matter how many children you have or when they were born.

How much you’ll get?

Extra monthly amount:

For your first child
£281.25 (born before 6 April 2017)
£235.83 (born on or after 6 April 2017)

For your second child and any other eligible children
£235.83 per child

If you have a disabled or severely disabled child
£128.25 or £400.29

If you need help with childcare costs
up to 85% of your costs (up to £646.35 for one child and £1,108.04 for 2 or more children)

You might get the extra amount if you start caring for another child, depending on when they were born and how many children you have.

If you have a disability or health condition

How much you’ll get

Extra monthly amount

If you have limited capability for work and work-related activity

If you have limited capability for work and you started your health-related Universal Credit or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) claim before 3 April 2017

If you care for a severely disabled person

How much you’ll get

Extra monthly amount

If you provide care for at least 35 hours a week for a severely disabled person who receives a disability-related benefit

This is on top of any extra amount you get if you have a disabled child.

Housing costs

You could get money to help pay your housing costs. How much you get depends on your age and circumstances.
The payment can cover rent and some service charges.
If you’re a homeowner, you might be able to get a loan to help with interest payments on your mortgage or other loans you’ve taken out for your home.

Other support you could get

If you receive Universal Credit you may also be able to get other financial support depending on your circumstances.

Please do remember to advise on your claim that you need to claim for Council Tax Support. Always check with your local council that they are aware of your claiming Universal Credit and the need for you to claim Council Tax Support. Never assume that your claim is automatically done it is not. Although some Councils now will do this not all have the capability to do so. It is your claim and the onus lies with you to take the responsibility to make the appropriate claims for the benefits that you may be entitled to.

More Information

Print   Email